The Difference Between Montage Palmetto Bluff and The Cloister at Sea Island
A Diego Travel agency and Virtuoso client favorite domestic destination has always been both Montage Palmetto Bluff in South Carolina and The Cloister and The Lodge of Sea Island, Georgia – two luxury resorts that parallel in both style, size, and type of clientele that visit both resorts. If you are undecided between which of these Virtuoso vacation properties might be right for you, we are here to point you in the right direction. In addition to helping our clients navigate the differences between these two luxury resorts, as a proud affiliate of Departure Lounge, we also offer our clients many benefits in booking with Diego Travel at both hotels.
- Resort Credit added to your stay
- Daily complimentary breakfast (for 2 people per room)
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Priority room upgrade when available
- Personalized trip planning to make the most out of your vacation (when utilizing our trip planning service)
- Custom Diego Travel welcome box with goodies for new clients who opt to utilize our trip planning service
Both Montage Palmetto Bluff and Sea Island are the perfect destinations for a family vacation, a multi-generational vacation that includes grandparents, parents, kids, aunts, uncles, etc, a girlfriends spa getaway, a domestic honeymoon, or even to host your large corporate group or event. So how do you know which property is right for you? Well, that is what we are here for, to break down the two.
Montage Palmetto Bluff’s closest airport is Savannah, Georgia, but you can also fly into Hilton Head, which are about a 35 minute drive to the property (airport codes HHH or HXD). To get to Sea Island, Georgia, you would fly into either Jacksonville, Florida or Savannah, Georgia, and will be about 45-55 minutes from Sea Island. If you plan to fly private, there are FBOs very close to either property, BQK for Sea Island, which will put you at about a 5-10 minute drive.
How to Get to Montage Palmetto Bluff and Sea Island
Montage Palmetto Bluff
Sea Island, Georgia
Sea Island, Georgia
Why you should plan a trip to:
Montage Palmetto Bluff
- There are 200 guest accommodations/rooms at Montage Palmetto Bluff, along with residences that are part of the resort’s rental program (they are privately owned, but fully serviced).
- Rooms range from a Forest View King without Balcony (which you will never be in if you book your stay with Diego Travel, as you get upgrade at time of booking) in the Main Inn to 5-bedroom residences.
- Montage Palmetto Bluff offers tennis, golf, biking, and boating, among other activities.
- There are 8 dining experiences and 3 different pools.
- Activities include cycling, horseback riding, hiking, boating, water and paddle sports, fly-fishing, bird-watching, sporting clays, carriage rides and archery.
- Sea Island also has 200 guest room accommodations, plus many vacation home rentals.
- Rooms range from River View King rooms in the Cloister to 4-5 Bedroom residences at The Lodge. Privately-owned residences can be rented through the Sea Island Cottage Rental program, which you can find more information on my blog here.
- Sea Island has something for everyone, with exclusive adults-only areas if you want to experience a romantic honeymoon, to accommodations for multi-generational families
- The 65,000-square-foot Forbes Five Star Spa at Sea Island is far superior to the spa experience at Montage Palmetto Bluff, so if this is important to you, then opt for Sea Island.
- Activities include diverse activities like tennis and squash, destination picnics, fitness classes, five miles of private beach, bike riding, 3 world-class golf courses and home to the PGA Tour’s RSM Classic, sporting clays, and sport shooting at the nearby Broadfield property, fishing, boating, water and paddle sports, along with many culinary experiences.
What Is The Highlight at:
Montage Palmetto Bluff is situated along a winding wetlands in the picturesque town of Palmetto Bluff, a one-stop-shop for convenience for the whole family. You don’t need to leave the community throughout your entire stay, as they offer a variety of restaurants, biking, horseback riding, shooting, golfing, fishing and boating. Though if you want to, you’re a short drive to Savannah and Hilton Head. The best part of our time at Montage Palmetto Bluff was getting out on the water by boat, and exploring the different islands.
Sea Island is an oceanfront front private island, unlike Palmetto Bluff which is located along a delta. To access Sea Island you must be a guest or home owner, which makes it a slightly more exclusive experience. Sea Island has a beautiful long beach and offers a broad range of activities including biking, golfing, shooting, paddleboarding, horseback riding, fishing and boating. In addition to several on property restaurants, there are many dining and shopping options at nearby St Simons island.
Who Should Visit?
Palmetto Bluff is a great destination for those wanting to immerse themselves in southern charm and enjoy winding waterways that frame this picturesque destination. Outdoor enthusiast can explore miles of bike and walking trails, go horseback riding, play tennis or explore miles of waterways by boat.
Palmetto Bluff is ideal for large, traditional family gatherings, or a romantic escape for couples who are just looking to disconnect to reconnect. We saw a bit of everything from couples, to bachelorette/girlfriends gatherings, to families with young children and grandparents. Because they have accommodations for everyone, it makes it very easy.
Sea Island offers miles of uncrowded beaches at the Beach Club, secluded hunting at Broadfield, world class golfing at the Lodge and old world charm and elegance at the Cloister.
While you’ll find everyone from families with small children, to couples celebrating their anniversary, to newlyweds on their honeymoon, Sea Island has an accommodation that will work best for you. If you choose to celebrate your honeymoon here, you’ll be joining 40,000 other couples who have done so (including my grandparents!). I would never place honeymooners in the Beach Club, just like I would not likely place a family with small children in the rooms at the Lodge. It’s best to consult with me in order to select the right fit for you.
Need Help Deciding Which One Is Right For You?
We are always here to walk our clients through questions, itineraries, and custom trip planning. If you really can’t decide which property you’ll enjoy more, then we say why not enjoy both?! We have planned trips for families to enjoy one property for 3-4 nights and then drive to the other property for 3-4 nights to experience the best of both worlds. You can easily spend a few days at each, but keep in mind that during peak seasons, you’ll want to book well in advance for getting your top choice of accommodations at both Sea Island and Montage Palmetto Bluff. You can schedule a call to answer any questions and start planning your next escape to Montage Palmetto Bluff or Sea Island. We can’t wait to make your stay extra special!